2015 Print Rates & Specifications
Black & White Rates
|Add the color rates to the appropriate black and white rates, according to ad size and frequency.
|Four Color (process color)
Covers (four color included)
||15 3/4" x 10 7/8"
||1/2 page vertical
||3 3/8" x 10"
||7 7/8" x 10 7/8"
||1/3 page square
||4 9/16" x 4 7/8"
|2/3 page vertical
||4 9/16" x 10"
||1/3 page vertical
||2 3/16" x 10"
|1/2 page island
||4 9/16" x 7 1/2"
||1/4 page square
||3 3/8" x 4 7/8"
|1/2 page horizontal
||7 x 4 7/8"
||2 3/16" x 4 7/8"
Bleed Ad Sizes
||8 1⁄8" × 11 1⁄8"
||16" × 11 1⁄8"
- Add ¼” to both the width and the height (1/8” on all sides) to compute the ad’s bleed dimensions. To compute live area for the ad, subtract ¼” from both trim width and height. For example, the live area for a full-page ad would be 7 5⁄8" × 10 5⁄8.” Floated spreads or full-page ads should be submitted at live-area size.
- Publication Trim Size: 7 7⁄8" × 10 7⁄8"
- Width of Column (on 3-column page); 3⁄16"
- Depth of Column: 10”
- Number of Columns per page: 2 or 3
Sean Richardson, Production Manager, phone: 703.295.6243, Fax: 703.295.6276
Please contact Sean Richardson to receive secure FTP instructions in order to upload artwork for each issue.
Color Proofs: Sean Richardson: ASCE’s Civil Engineering magazine 1801 Alexander Bell Drive Reston, VA 20191
Artwork File Submission
For accurate color reproduction, art files must be accompanied by a matchprint or digital proof. Artwork submission in the form of a PDF (PDF/X-1a) is recommended. All 4-color artwork must be in CMYK mode, and all embedded color profiles (sRGB or ICC profiles) must be discarded. EPS and TIFF file types are also acceptable for submission. Files must contain hi-resolution (300 dpi) graphics and embedded fonts (not subset fonts). Native files (In Design CS5 or other file types) may also be submitted. To submit files other than those mentioned here, please contact the production manager.
Fonts not owned by our printer cannot and will not be produced due to licensing agreements and regulations.
2015 Civil Engineering Classified Advertising
Civil Engineering Marketplace and Career Connections Pages
Where over 80,000 civil engineers turn for the human resources, products and services they need to design and build the world’s infrastructure.
- Consistent, cost-effective way to reach the nation’s leading civil engineers
- Your ad also will appear online at asce.org
Minimum Size: 1 column × 1"
Column Width: 2¼"
Maximum Depth: 8¾"
||One Year Pre-paid
Color Rates Per Year
Add the color rates to the appropriate black and white rates, according to ad size and frequency.
|Four Color (process color)
Any recruitment classified ad will also appear on the ASCE Career Connections Web site for the month(s) of publication at no additional charge. For an additional $200, the ad will be placed online upon confirmation of placement and will run through the month(s) of publication.
Nondisplay Civil Engineering Classified Advertising Rates
(Positions Available, University Positions Available, Software, etc.) No agency commission for nondisplay ads. Legal notices and proposals take the column-inch rate. 5% discount for multiple insertions.
Basic Line Ad: $250.00 per column inch. One inch minimum; billed by the half inch. Approximately 360 characters and spaces per column inch. Set in straight paragraph format. Add your logo for only $350!
Enhanced Line Ad (Eye-catching option!) $250.00 per column inch, plus an additional $300.00 for the Special Enhancement,
- Increased size
- Larger section in bold with a box/ border around the ad
- Bleed ads: no additional charge. Bleed ads only available in Spreads, FP ads, and 2/3 pages ads.
- Rates are determined by the total space used within a 12-month period, dating from the first insertion. Earned frequency is determined by total number of insertions, not issues.
- Premium position charges are in addition to earned contract rate. For Cover 2, Cover 3 and Cover 4, add 15%. Special position requests are subject to an additional 10% charge.
- Insertion orders must be received in writing before ad issue closing date; cancelations must be received in writing 30 days before ad issue closing date.
- Short Rates: Advertisers will be short-rated if within a twelve month period from the date of the first insertion they do not use the amount of space upon which their billings have been based.
- Rebates: Advertisers will be rebated if within a twelve-month period from the date of first insertion they have used sufficient space to earn a lower rate than that at which they have been billed.
- Protective Rate: Proper notification will be given of any rate changes, and contracts may be canceled at the time the change in rate becomes effective without incurring a short-rate adjustment, provided the contract rate has been earned up to the date of cancellation.
- Paper Stock: Inside stock is 36# coated web offset. Cover stock is 70# machine coated.
- Proof Sheets: Proofs of publication set advertisements will be furnished in time for approval, provided all deadlines are met.
- Composition: Copy other than key numbers charged at prevailing rates.
Civil Engineering Inserts
- For rates on inserts, consult Director, Advertising Sales.
- Number of preprinted inserts to be supplied should be confirmed by ASCE Production Manager at (703) 295-6243. Trim size of publication is 8-1/16” x 10-7/8”. Inserts can be bound in or tipped in. Call for production specifications before proceeding.
- Special insert rates apply for furnished inserts which meet all specifications, are ready for binding and do not require trimming, backup, etc. Inserts that must be backed up or require any special handling will be charged to the advertiser at prevailing rates. Contact publisher for rates and additional production charges. All such charges will be in addition to space rates and are not commissionable.
Inserts should be folded—skids preferred—with special attention to wrapping as subject to rough handling. Ship back-up inserts flat, do not fold.
Shipment to Publishers Printing Co., c/o Civil Engineering, 13487 S. Preston Hwy., Lebanon Junction, KY 40150. A sample of the insert should be pasted to the outside of each skid and marked with the number of inserts contained therein and date of insertion. Also include six insert samples in a folder attached to the skid. All materials should be scheduled to arrive by the 22nd of the month, two months preceding cover date of issue (example, May 22 for the July issue).
- Published Monthly: Issued on or about the 1st of month of the cover date of publication.
- Closing Date for Insertion Orders: Due at publication by 1st of the month preceding issue cover date.
- Closing Date for Mechanical Materials: All printing material due at publication by the 5th of the month preceding issue cover date.
- General: Contracts, insertion orders, correspondence, special requests, proofs and copy should be addressed to: Advertising Department Civil Engineering Magazine, 1801 Alexander Bell Drive Reston, VA 20191-4400
- Reprint Orders: Forward request indicating title(s) of articles and quantity to: Reprint Coordinator Civil Engineering Magazine, 1801 Alexander Bell Drive, Reston, VA 20191-4400 or call (703) 295-6244.
- Publisher’s Copy Protective Clause: Advertisers and advertising agencies assume sole liability for all content (including text, representations, photographs, and illustrations) of advertisement printed, and also assume responsibility for any claims arising therefrom made against the Publisher. The Publisher reserves the right to reject any advertising that does not conform to its publication standards, which are subject to change or modification at the sole discretion of the Publisher. Any advertising resembling editorial matter may be designated as advertising by the Publisher.
- Positioning of Advertisements is at the discretion of the Publisher except where a request for a specified preferred position is acknowledged by Publisher.
- Publisher has the right to hold advertiser and/or its advertising agency jointly and severally liable for such monies as are due and payable to Publisher for advertising which advertiser or its agent ordered and for which such advertising was published.
- Conditions other than rates, are subject to change by Publisher without notice. As used in this section, entitled Advertising Policies, the term “Publisher” shall refer to Civil Engineering Magazine and/or the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE). The terms and conditions of this rate card supersede any terms or appearing on advertiser’s orders or materials.
- Publisher is not responsible for errors or omissions in key numbers and/or advertisers’ index.
- Regulations concerning copy and contracts are those generally accepted throughout the industry.
- Advertisements are not accepted if they contain testimonial statements or endorsements given by a member or members of ASCE.
- No conditions other than those set forth in this rate card shall be binding on the publisher unless specifically agreed to in writing by the publisher.
- All orders are accepted for space subject to our credit requirements.
- Publisher retains right of final approval and acceptance of all advertising submitted, and shall not be liable for any loss resulting from rejection of such advertising.
- Agency Commission: 15% of gross billing allowed to recognized advertising agencies on display space, color and preferred position charges. Commission is not allowed on such charges as artwork, reprints, backup of inserts, classified ads under 1/6 page, production and bindery charges and special handling charges. Commission is subject to forfeiture on invoices not paid within 90 days from invoice date. All accounts not paid in full within 30 days of invoice date may incur a charge of 1-1/2% per month until paid in full.
- Dual Liability: All advertising placed by an entity acting as the agent for another shall be regulated by the Law of Agency as defined in the Uniform Commercial Code. The entity for which any advertising is placed shall be held liable for payment in full for all advertising placed on its behalf whether or not the entity remitted funds to its agent.